Al-Muwāfaqāt Fi Usul Al-Shari‘ah
Islamic Law occupies a significant place in contemporary academic discourses. The main reason for that is the modern Islamic resurgence founded on the call for the restoration and implementation of the Shari‘ah. Its effect can be witnessed in the making of the religious movements to the global politics.
Al-Muwāfaqāt is one of the masterpieces of Islamic Law and Jurisprudence. In this work, the great jurisprudent Abu Ishāq al-Shātibi. (d. 790) advocated for the revivalist theory of Maqāsid al-Shari‘ah (Higher Intents of Islamic Law). The themes discussed in it are a fine blend of Legal Philosophy, Epistemology, and Hermeneutics.
In this course, you will study the 13 Muqaddimāt (Introductions), which summarize the purpose and themes discussed in this work.
The aim is to get acquainted with Islamic legal philosophy, theory of knowledge, and the methodology of interpreting the divine texts, equipping ourselves with proper tools to foster a better understanding (al-Fahm) of our world-view and the challenges we are facing in the modern age and times.
About the Instructor
Dr. Shuayb Muhammad Wani completed his foundational Islamic Studies at Jamia Millia Islamia University, India and Al-Azhar University, Egypt. He devoted 10 years studying advanced Islamic Studies specializing in Usul al-Fiqh (Islamic Jurisprudence) at International Islamic University, Malaysia.
He has received Ijazas and Tazkiyah from leading Arab Scholars like Shaykh Dr. Bilal Faysal al-Bahr, Shaykh Dr. Hasan ibn Ibrahim al-Handawi, Shaykh Dr. Arif Ali Arif, Shaykh Dr. Muhammad Tahir al-Maysawi, Shaykh Dr. Abd al-Razzaq al-Kindi and others.
He has been teaching all Islamic ‘Ulum in person and online for over a decade. He dedicates his time teaching, studying and researching and is currently based in Turkey, where he resides with his family.
- Session 2: The First Muqaddimah (85:11)
- Session 3: The Second Muqaddimah (76:33)
- Session 4: The Third Muqaddimah (73:58)
- Session 5: The Fourth Muqaddimah (43:06)
- Session 6: The Fifth Muqaddimah (61:03)
- Session 7: The Sixth Muqaddimah (68:38)
- Session 8: The Seventh Muqaddimah (50:34)
- Session 9: The Eighth Muqaddimah (73:18)
- Session 10: The Ninth Muqaddimah (75:17)
- Session 11: The Tenth Muqaddimah (64:03)
- Session 12: The Eleventh Muqaddimah (68:37)
- Session 13: The Twelfth Muqaddimah (77:50)